ACADEMIC LEARNING THROUGH SOLVING
Solvers need to have access to academic content to be able to solve many of the puzzles. Solving Fun activities support the Common Core Standards with developmentally aligned curriculum and materials.
In Math, we strive to include components of the 8 Standards for Mathematical Practice (www.corestandards.org) in every puzzle. These include:
• Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
• Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
• Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
• Model with mathematics.
• Use appropriate tools strategically.
• Attend to precision.
• Look for and make use of structure.
• Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Other academic content within our puzzles include:
English: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
History & Geography: Historical figures, Dates, Locations
Science: Experimentation, Research
Other: Following directions, Note-taking Skills, Organization, Academic Vocabulary, Comprehension and Collaboration